Thursday, December 2, 2010

Breaking Down Them Indie Bands

When I listen to music, I usually identify deeply with the meanings of songs, and am interested in the messages that they convey, and how it makes me feel.  I CONSTANTLY ask my boyfriend what our song is (mature, I know), only to be dismayed at the choices he presents. This is because the aspects that he appreciates about a song are different than the ones that I do, as he is more interested in the auditory pleasures of a song, rather than what its lyrics convey.  He once told me that our song was one that began with the lines, “girl, I know you got issues…” and I was like, "Uhhh....Really?!" However, the offense that I took was simply due to conflicts of interests since he chose the song to be ours because of the way it sounded (which is nice, I must add). I, on the other hand, could not believe that he picked a song about a man loving a woman despite the depressing issues she had. It is clear from my experience that in addition to the way a song sounds, I am also interested in what it has to say.
I guess if I had to be categorized into a certain type of genre of music that I enjoy, I would probably most identify with the Indie category; most specifically the indie folk/rock genre including artists such as Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, Iron and Wine, etc. and also artists that are more eclectic such as Yeasayer (although I swear Justin Timberlake will always have a place in my heart (marry me!?)).  I am obviously a little more inclined to be interested in an artists production when I am at a show as opposed to simply listening to their music by myself. At these times I recognize that I do both appreciate an interesting production and a simplistic one.   For example, I am totally down with the band Local Natives. I saw them at First Avenue, and not only did my debit card get stolen, but these wholesome hunks also stole my heart.  Their music is beautiful, and the simplistic set up of the stage and their presence was a great addition. For them, it is not about the production.  They find ways to get the crowd going that does not involve glitter, and mostly involves their music.  As I look back on the shows I have seen, I recognize a trend that is sans a huge production.  I went to 89.3’s Rock the Garden production 2 years ago (and not this past year because I was out of the country) and the atmosphere of the stage was more the same; simplistic, with the band, their instruments and some microphones.  However, I do recognize some shows that I have seen that do involve a large production. I saw Phoenix and also Ratatat at First Ave and it was all about the light show that accompanied the music.  I guess a good way to put it is that I appreciate a band whose production and music go hand and hand. When one outdoes the other it takes away from the focus of the music.  To demonstrate both ends of the music spectrum that I enjoy I will show two videos: one with a more simplistic setting (simplistic setting only referring to the stage, not intricacy of the music), and one with a mind-blowing light show (that was better in person, obviously). 
Ratatat       
Since the above videos are live performances, I will also look at some music videos by the same artists, and try to come to some sort of conclusion about indie music videos.  I think one thing that I most frequently notice about music videos of this genre is the high possibility that the artists are barely shown, if ever, in their music video, and are most definitely are not the focus.  Videos like this, and also others by groups such as Animal Collective, and Ratatat present an obscure and abstract artistic music video, rather than a Lady Gagaesque type where she is the focus. Sometimes, the art also carries some sort of message, such as the one in the Ratatat video that portrays human destruction of Earth.  Because indie music artist are the self-proclaimed anti-christ of corporate record labels, they generally enjoy more freedom in their artistic expression.  In addition, videos included in this genre generally invite their viewers to become engulfed in some sort of trance, or so  I've noticed.    

No comments:

Post a Comment