Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blogging About Blogs


Even though we already had to read the selection from Beers, Probst, and Rief by Kajder in Kristen’s class, it was nice to revisit it after having time to reflect on our technology classes that we had last semester.   Integrating technology into the classroom is a great idea to get students to engage in something that is worthwhile to them, but I sometimes feel as if I have so many different resources that I’ve learned about and it can get kind of overwhelming.  Not only does using technology interesting and exciting for students, it is a tool that they need for success in the future.  Just today I was putting the final touches on my resume and cover letter to send them in to an employer.  But no, this wasn’t the type of sending that you slap a stamp on and make sure you write the correct address on using ALL CAPS. This whole applying for jobs process has moved online, much like a lot of resources and processes.    

I like the idea of weblogs.  Much like facebook, this is a space where a student creates an identity that they want internet-users and blog visitors to perceive of them.  That being said, upkeep and awareness of what and how the student writes will be important factors to the student.  Giving students ownership of an identity that will be visible to more than just the teacher’s eyes will be more inviting than the traditional paper-based essays that only the teacher sees.  I would also encourage student blogs to be a space where they share more than just academic postings.  I want to have my students create a blog identity that they can take ownership over and are proud of, and to me, this means allowing for students to share that individuality by posting whatever they want (school approps) when they feel they have insights to share.  I recently told my boyfriend that I have a blog. After a little chuckle and a roll of the eyes he finally admitted he wanted to read some of my postings.  After finishing, he said, “Nicole, you’re kind of funny on this thing!”  Needless to say, he was really impressed by my blogging skills and my ability to portray a sort of blogging persona.  I’ve known this kid for three years, and here he was learning something new about me that I was good at. I can only imagine what doors this would open for a student. 

Blogs also create more of a dialogue, whereas paper essays are finished as soon as the bell rings.  Students can comment on the thoughts of their classmates and analyze other opinions. No longer is it just the teacher that is doing the teaching, students can teach each other in a mode that they are comfortable using and that is relevant to their success in the future.  In this class, (and in Rick Beach's class in the past) I enjoy reading what my classmates have to say about the topics we are talking about in class. They challenge me to expand and rethink my own opinions, and I think some of the most valuable things I have learned in this program have come from my cohort members' mouths... You masterminds, you:)

Unfortunately, my excitement for using technology takes a little jab when I think about student access to these tools.  After talking with students at Edison, it would be safe for me to say that not all of them have access to a computer at home.  Blogging kind of loses its effect when the students are brought into the media center and forced to write in the 45-minute slot they have with me. This is where technology can be an issue because as a teacher, we cannot assume that everyone has access to the tools we are requiring them to use. 

I came across this gentleman's blog and he gives some really awesome sites for integrating technology into writing classes. Take a look!


2 comments:

  1. Nicole -

    All good points. I'm glad you came to your final one about access. I wonder (and I mean this in the best way), Is there a way to have an open conversation about technology access with our students? I, for one, am afraid to have it. Will I come off as a bragger, saying "hey, look at all the technology I have"? Are we doing a disservice by not talking about this suspected gap with students?

    I worry that we are assuming so much about this worry that we are actually making the gap worse. It inspires me to talk to my students about it in the same way we are told to be so transparent about constructions of class, gender and race.

    Cheers,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    I agree with Matt… I love reading your blogs! You have a really unique and effective voice through informal writing! I have laughed out loud many a time reading your blog. I love that you took this personal experience and related it to your students. Especially being adolescents, they hate writing but LOVE talking to about themselves, so why not bridge the gap and allow them to do both at the same time! Break down that resistance to writing!

    I agree with you that it is extremely overwhelming to decide which, in the plethora of technology tools available to use (especially after Beach’s class!). A thing I have done to narrow down what I’m including in the classroom (so I’m not overdoing the technology) is setting a limit of only using technology a max of two days during the week. Additionally, it may be helpful to think about which resources you like the most and then applying lesson ideas to use those. This way, you have an idea of what you’re incorporating as you start designing curriculum and might feel less overwhelmed and more prepared!

    I am in the same boat as you, at Edison, on being sensitive and aware of the fact that many of my students may not have access to technology to or the Internet at home. While I understand your position and worry about something like blogging losing its effect when only being done a portion of the time in class (especially when blogging should be personal, not forced). However, my position is that if we do not expose these students to resources or tools such as this in school, they may lose out on a wide variety of tools that can benefit them later in life (both in the professional world and academic). I sometimes have trouble keeping up on all of the technology I must use at the University, and I’ve been in school for a loooooong time. I hope that providing these technological resources as an option for students in the classroom will be another way to better prepare them for college.

    I also really like your link in this week’s response! I like how there are many more links provided once you access the main page. I specifically liked the link that lead to “The Writing Site” because it provided technology website and organized them on purpose, usefulness, and grade appropriate level.

    Thanks for sharing, Nicole!

    Sincerely, your faithful blog partner,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete